Chris and I almost always travel alone as a couple and didn’t like asking a stranger to take a photo of us when we wanted a picture of us together. Sometimes it’s hard to find someone who wasn’t busy or I felt like I was interrupting them or didn’t feel safe asking. Not to mention, I haven’t been crazy about some of the photos strangers have taken of us (really, I’d rather see more of the Eiffel Tower than get my shoes in the photo!).
I’ve been using the Xshot Camera Extender Monopod since 2009 and have been really happy with it!
- Take the XShot on your trip. It collapses to fit into your purse or pocket.
- Screw the XShot to the bottom of your digital camera.
- Fully extend the XShot.
- Set your digital camera timer. I use 10 seconds.
- Position the XShot & camera in front of you and whatever you’re taking a photo of.
Here are some actual photos I took using our XShot:
The XShot has it’s own wrist-strap so it’s still attached to your wrist when you are using it. You can also take as many photos as you want without having to bother a stranger!
The Xshot comes in 2 sizes: the XShot 2.0 extends to 37″ long and closes to 9″. The new Pocket XShot extends to 30.5″ and closes to 6.5″. I personally own the XShot 2.0 and it fits easily into my purse.
A few tips I learned over the years:
- Position the XShot in the center of the group
- Use both hands to steady it, if you’re weak like me.
- Practice makes perfect!
- Don’t be surprised if you get a few amazed looks and even some laughs. Some people find the XShot hilarious. Others find it ingenious!
- Some places will not let you use the XShot for security reasons (it looks like a baton) and copyright reasons (monopod/tripod = professional).
- Speaking of security, I try to avoid putting it in my carry-on luggage because it does look like a baton on x-ray. I’ve had my luggage opened up because of this. If I’m not checking any luggage, then I take the XShot out ahead of time and put it loose in the bin so it can be easily inspected by TSA. Same goes for any other x-ray that my purse may go through with the XShot inside.
Check out Xshot Camera Extender Monopod on Amazon